Sachin Tendulkar doesn’t talk much on social issues. Rarely has he spoken even on cricketing issues. And so when he was nominated for the Rajya Sabha seat on April 26, criticisms flew thick and fast. Will he do justice to the role?
Will he ever get time to juggle cricket and politics? Is he even interested in contributing socially? Why has he been nominated?
Yesterday, he made it clear that he has no intentions of joining politics.
He sees his nomination as just a recognition for his achievements on the sporting field. “I believe the President has chosen me after recognising what I have done for over 22 years,” he said. “Cricket is my expertise. I would like to contribute to that field. I am a sportsman and I will always be a sportsman.”
Tendulkar stated he would never enter politics by giving up cricket which he said was his life. “I am not a politician. I am a sportsman and will always remain one. I am not going to enter politics giving up cricket, which is my life. I will continue to play cricket,” he said during a felicitation function by a private firm for scoring his 100th international ton.
He even cited some of the previous Rajya Sabha members to bolster his case. He said many eminent persons, including melody queen Lata Mangeshkar and actor Prithviraj Kapoor too, had been nominated by the President for their contribution in their respective fields.
It’s not that Tendulkar hasn’t ever spoken on an issue. In 2009, in the background of the “Marathi Manoos” plank of Shiv Sena, Tendulkar had famously said, “Mumbai is for all Indians. Mumbai belongs to India. That is how I look at it. And I am a Maharashtrian and I am extremely proud of that but I am an Indian first.”
DON’T NEED PUBLICITY
Tendulkar is celebrated for the dignified manner in which he has led an almost unblemished public life but he has been also criticised by a few about his non- involvement in areas of public interest. Yesterday he gave reasons for his silence. “I have been supporting deprived children by sponsoring their education through ‘Apanalaya Centre’ for many years,” Tendulkar said. “But this is for my personal satisfaction and I do not need any publicity.”
He appealed to the people to experience the “joy of giving” as even small things contributed to the needy could prove precious to many unfortunate individuals.
He told the audience that their good wishes were important for him to keep going. “I am passionate about cricket. Cricket is my life. Keep praying for me so that I can derive strength from them. I pray to God to guide me in making right decisions.”
Tendulkar also extended his greetings to the Maharashtrians on the occasion of the Maharashtra Day by shouting “Jai Maharashtra”.
Source
0 comments
Post a Comment